Title I Coordinator
Reviewed and Updated 2018-2019
At the district level, it is the policy of the Ottumwa Community School District that parents of all participating children have the opportunity to be involved in the joint development of the district plan and in the district’s review process for the purpose of school improvement. The district provides coordination, technical assistance, and other necessary support in the planning and implementation of parent involvement activities. The district encourages parent involvement and supports the partnership between home/school/community by providing understandable information about standards and assessments; providing training and materials for parents to help their children; educating school personnel about involving parents and the value of parent contributions; and developing meaningful roles for community organizations and businesses to work with parents and schools.
It is the policy of the Ottumwa Community School District that:
1. This jointly developed, written policy is distributed to parents of participating Title I children and all parents in Schoolwide Title I buildings.
2. An annual meeting is held, for all parents of participating children. Additional parent meetings with flexible meeting times shall be held throughout the year as determined by parent interest and suggestions.
3. Parents are given assistance in understanding the requirements of the Title I law, National Education Goals, content standards, performance standards, and assessments.
4. Parents receive an explanation of the school’s performance profile, expected proficiency levels for students, and their student’s assessment results.
5. Parents receive timely responses to all parent recommendations. As much as feasible, sent to parents in the language used in the home. Full opportunities are provided for all parents to participate in Title I activities.
6. A jointly developed school/parent compact outlines how parents, the entire school staff, and students share the responsibility for improved student achievement and the means by which the school and parents continue to build and develop partnerships to help children achieve the local high standards.
7. The schoolwide program provides opportunities for parents to become partners with the school in promoting the education of their children at home and at school. Parents are given help monitoring their student’s progress. The school provides reasonable support for parental involvement activities as requested by parents.
The Title I schoolwide buildings will address with the parents methods to enhance their child’s educational program which in turn will assist them to become more involved and dedicated to assisting parents in methods that can be used at home to help their child meet the high challenging standards. The school will be responsive to reasonable requests by the parents to improve Title I.
8. The school coordinates and integrates parent involvement programs and activities with other programs as appropriate.
9. An annual evaluation of this parental involvement policy shall be conducted to determine the effectiveness of this policy for increasing parental involvement. Policy evaluation of this parental involvement policy shall be conducted to determine the effectiveness of this policy and the barriers of this policy for increasing parent involvement. Policy evaluation findings shall be used in designing strategies for school improvement and revising parent policies.